Menu

BCB to approach ICC on T20 WC security after Mustafizur's IPL omission

Cricbuzz Staff 
the-bcb-will-be-writing-to-the-icc-and-the-bcci
The BCB will be writing to the ICC and the BCCI ©AFP

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) will write to the International Cricket Council (ICC) seeking clarity on the security arrangements for their players, fans, media and sponsors during the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2026. The board will also approach the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to seek a formal explanation for the exclusion of Mustafizur Rahman from Kolkata Knight Riders' squad ahead of the upcoming IPL season.

The decisions were taken at an emergency meeting of BCB directors in Sylhet, following concerns over Mustafizur's omission. The BCCI had instructed KKR to release the Bangladesh pacer and the franchise complied, without offering a detailed explanation.

The development has triggered widespread reaction within the country, with members of the cricket fraternity and other sections urging the BCB to reconsider playing their World Cup group matches in India. The sentiment, BCB officials noted, stems from concerns that if adequate protection could not be assured to a single player, questions naturally arise over the safety of an entire touring contingent.

"We are sending letter to ICC putting three clauses into it. Firstly we would like to know from them about Mustafizur (exclusion from IPL) and secondly what is the security plan for us in the World Cup. More so because not only players will travel to India but along with them media, fans and sponsors would also travel there to see the World Cup. Those who will go there, what will be their security status," a top BCB official told Cricbuzz.

Bangladesh will begin their T20 World Cup campaign on the opening day of the tournament, which starts on February 7. They are placed in Group C alongside West Indies, England, Nepal and Italy. Their opening game will be against two-time champions West Indies on February 7 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata. Bangladesh will then face debutants Italy at the same venue on February 9, followed by a clash against England on February 14, also in Kolkata. Their final group stage game is against Nepal on February 17 in Mumbai.

Separately, the BCB will also seek clarity from the BCCI on the circumstances that led to Mustafizur's removal from KKR's squad, a move that has raised several questions back home. "We are also sending an email to BCCI to know the exact picture why Mustafizur was excluded," the official said.

Mustafizur had attracted strong interest at the IPL auction, with two other franchises also bidding for the 30-year-old before KKR secured his services for INR 9.2 crore. The Bangladesh international has previously represented Chennai Super Kings, Delhi Capitals, Sunrisers Hyderabad and Rajasthan Royals in the league.

© Cricbuzz